Technology & the Law - 2024 Virtual Conference
Chaired by Robert Bond, this live broadcast conference with a panel of leading experts offers a comprehensive update as to the current hot topics in this fast-moving area.
Each session will provide a full opportunity for questions and answers.
This live and interactive 5-hour conference will cover the following:
10am-11am: Data Protection for the Technology Sector
Chair: Robert Bond
This session will review the impact of data protection on the technology sector and will include:
- Current and future UK law
- Transparency and accountability
- Duties of Controllers and Processors
- Data subject rights
- Compliance & risk assessments
- International data transfers
11:10am-12:10pm: The Regulation of Artificial Intelligence
Jacob Turner, Fountain Court Chambers
This session will cover the regulation of Artificial Intelligence (AI), covering the following areas:
- Unique challenges raised by AI
- AI and Intellectual Property
- Developing international regulation, including the UK AI regulatory plan and the EU’s draft AI Act
- Case study on explainable AI
- Establishing AI ethics governance within an organisation
12:10pm-1:10pm: Quantum Computing
Rebecca Keating, 4 Pump Court
In this session, we will be exploring why should lawyers care about quantum computing.
- What is a ‘quantum computer’?
- Where we are now with quantum computing?
- A legal perspective on errors, ‘uncrackable’ codes, blockchain and issues that could be a threat to the future
- Current legal advice on IP issues, confidentiality issues and M&A advice
Break for lunch
2-3pm: Crypto Law - Regulation & Fraud
Karl Foster, Spencer West LLP
This session will provide a summary of recent regulatory and legislative developments within the crypto currency market and will cover the following:
- Crystallization of risks
- Increasing transparency (5AMLD/US IIJA/OECD CARF/MICA)
- Regulatory hostility towards exchanges
- Government and regulator stance
- Regulation, control and consumer protection
- Regulatory action
- Measures to increase adoption
- Forum shopping
3:15-4:15pm: Supply Chain and Vendor Management
The reliance upon technology in so many products and services places obligations to ensure safety and security in goods and services. This session will consider:
- EU Cyber Resilience Act
- UK Product Security & Telecoms Infrastructure Bill
- UK Online Safety Act
- EU Digital Services Act
- EU Digital Operational Resilience Act
- GDPR requirements
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.