VAT for Property Lawyers - A Practical Guide Without the ‘Jargon’
VAT is a tricky subject at the best of times, and particularly so for commercial property lawyers.
This virtual classroom seminar is delivered by a highly-experienced commercial property lawyer without the jargon that often makes tax advice incomprehensible.
If you have difficulty telling your inputs from your outputs or you panic when you have to deal with a possible TOGC (transfer of a going concern) then this session is for you.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- VAT registration
- Inputs and outputs
- Taxable supplies, exempt supplies and transactions outside the scope of VAT
- Accounting for VAT - understanding clients' cash flow
- Commercial and non-commercial buildings
- Exempt, standard-rated and zero-rated property transactions
- Reverse premiums on lease grant, lease assignment and lease surrender
- Planning issues
- Making the option to tax and how it works
- TOGCs - how they work and how to draft contract clauses dealing with them
- VAT on third party legal costs
- Disbursements and VAT
- Property searches - the current position following Brabners and Prosser and the Law Society’s guidance
- Lessons from the recent cases
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.