UK Competition Law Reforms - The Latest News
On 20 April 2022, the UK Government announced its long awaited plans for the reform of UK competition law regime.
In the first competition law reforms since Brexit, the Government is seeking through this radical package of measures to update the UK competition law regime, improve effectiveness and speed up enforcement so as to maintain and improve public confidence in competition regulation.
Widespread reforms will see changes to the CMA market study and market inquiry regime, merger control thresholds and procedure and stronger Competition Act 1998 enforcement together with greater powers being invested in the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive course will cover the following:
- Brief background and rationale for the reforms
- Government proposals to create a pro-competition strategy
- Reforms to CMA market study and inquiry regime
- Updating UK merger control thresholds and procedures
- Stronger Competition Act enforcement including increasing penalties on companies and directors as well as new investigative powers
- Strengthening CMA powers to verify algorithms’ compliance with competition law
- Greater powers for the Competition Appeal Tribunal
- More effective international cooperation with other regulators such as DG Comp and the DoJ/FTC
- Likely timetable for implementation
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.