Shares, Share Capital & Dividends - A Practical Guide
Spread over 2 sessions, this live broadcast provides an explanation of the law relating to share capital under the Companies Act 2006, together with relevant amendments to this legislation. During the course, you will look at some practical examples of the law in action from a private company perspective. Subject to delegate interest, some issues specific to companies trading on UK stock exchanges may also be discussed.
If you advise companies and or their directors on anything to do with shares, share capital and/or dividends, this course is for you. Delegates will receive full course notes and will consider sample resolution and minutes wording for many of these transactions.
Please note that this course does not cover the detailed tax or accounting aspects of share capital.
What You Will Learn
This interactive session will cover the following:
- Key Definitions
- Common classes of shares and issues surrounding the creation of share classes
- A step by step guide to issuing shares, including Directors' authority for the issue of shares and pre-emption rights
- Briefly, the concept of authorised share capital under the 1985 Companies Act and the effect of its abolition
- Subdivision, consolidation, re-designation and conversion (including procedural requirements)
- Reduction of capital
- The reasons for and procedure for buybacks out of profits and out of capital
- Declaring dividends
- Recent case law relevant to share capital and dividend transactions
- The effect on a transaction of failure to follow correct procedure: is it void? Can it be rectified?
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.
1:00pm - 3:30pm
1:00pm - 3:30pm