Reporting on Title for Property Lawyers - Live with Hannah Mackinlay
With smartphones and the internet, the way the public get information has changed more in the last 10 years than since the invention of the printing press, but our reporting to clients has changed very little. We are 20 years behind the rest of the service industry.
Few clients can understand our ‘standard reports’ and we don’t often put ourselves in the lay clients’ shoes. They then make complaints after the event and blame us.
This live broadcast will look at how to report to your clients on the key issues in an effective and understandable way. This will lead to better informed clients, and fewer complaints. It is suitable for both residential and commercial property practitioners and applies to all sizes of firms.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Tips for modern, understandable, useful and effective communication:
- Use of English, timing, layout, format and sample reports, and explanations
- Are you giving useful guidance - or just back-covering?
- Duty to advise v. taking a view (i.e. a gamble)
- How to explain risk and impact to shape decisions
- The role of title insurance and new requirements on conveyancers
- The problem areas:
- Taxes - SDLT/LTT
- Joint ownership
- Environmental risks, flooding, SuDS
- Physical. Building regs, fire, asbestos, planning, road adoption
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.