Technology, Data & Education - Navigating the Legal Issues
The rapid development of the digital world and the availability of affordable technology and a multitude of software and apps marketed for use in education institutions combined with use of smartphones and tablets by even the youngest of children raises powerful opportunities to enhance delivery of education and boost education outcomes.
But this is far from being without risk to the child and privacy of personal data.
This virtual classroom session will focus on the legal issues that require to be navigated through when technology is introduced into the classroom, typically with support from private sector commercial concerns. We will look at the way GDPR introduced specific measures to reflect the greater level of protection children should have under the regulation and how the UK has been a pace setter in also focussing on app design and functionality through the mandatory requirements of the Children’s Code.
There will also be consideration of how artificial intelligence is being brought into apps and services used in schools and the key considerations to be taken into account by developers and the purchasers of products with AI at their heart.
Platforms involved in the marketing of apps are now paying considerable attention to the protections expected when children are accessing the internet and there will be an explanation of the steps being taken to ensure high standards are committed to within the EdTech industry.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- The UK GDPR - a reminder of its status and the role played by the Data Protection Act 2018
- Determining whether a person is a child - the varying tests that need to be applied dependent upon the circumstances
- How consents are given on behalf of a child and issues that can arise
- Use of personal data in education institutions - what are the responsibilities of the organisation and how should these be managed?
- The Children’s Code - what it is and the responsibilities it creates for app developers
- The rapidly emerging role of artificial intelligence - new due diligence responsibilities for institutions that arise from this
- How app marketing platforms are responding to ever more sophisticated regulation of personal data
- The key takeaways summarised
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.