An A to Z of Charity Law in 2 Days
This two day course is a hands-on introduction to charity law with case studies and will include the latest on Charitable Incorporated Organisations.
Delegates will gain experience of drafting charitable objects and there will be other practical exercises.
- How do you decide what kind of charity to form?
- Dissolution of a charity - what are the consequences?
- Trustee meetings - the points you need to be watching out for
- The common pitfalls with charity tax and how to avoid them
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- How do I decide what kind of charity to form? Trusts, charitable companies, Charitable Incorporated Organisations and others
- Precedents for the standard types of new charity
- Drafting the charity's Objects, practical examples
- An introduction to the Charity Commission
- Charities in Scotland and Northern Ireland
- Case study on registering a charity
- The role of charity trustees: Trustee Act 2000, charitable companies and fiduciary duties of Trustees
- Trustee meetings and points to watch
- Trustee meetings: the first year cycle
- Delegation of duties by Trustees, points to watch
- Case study on trustee benefit and conflicts of interest
- Charities with members: the AGM
- Charity tax: avoiding the common pitfalls
- Raising funds: Charity Commission guidance on disaster appeals
- The regulation of fundraising, from chugging to cause related marketing
- Capital appeals
- Demystifying fund accounting: endowment and permanent endowment
- Charity Property: special rules for acquisition, disposal, leases and rates relief
- The Charity Commission's regulatory power and Serious Incident Reporting
- Case study of an investigation
- Litigation and the Charity Tribunal
- Employment for charities, and dealing with volunteers
- Legacies and disputed wills
- Mergers and collaborations: case study of a merger
- Dissolution of charities: the consequences, points to watch for
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme