Criminal Legal Aid - All Change from 30 September 2022
This virtual classroom seminar will guide you through the increases in the legal aid rates for determinations that the defendant qualifies for legal aid made on or after 30 September 2022. The relevant Statutory Instrument (2022 No. 848) has now been published.
The headline increase is 15% but it is a little more complicated than that and the session will involve looking at the various percentage increases for the various fees. The Statutory Instrument, in addition to setting out the various increases, also makes amendments, such as the abolition of the fixed fee for a guilty plea upon election.
What You Will Learn
This live broadcast will cover the following:
- The percentage increases for police station work and the ‘escape thresholds’
- The increases in the hourly rates for Magistrates’ Court work and the new standard fees
- The new fees for Litigators dealing with Crown Court work - the increases seem to vary dependent upon the type of case - guilty plea - cracked trial - trial
- The new fees for Advocates under the AGFS (Advocates Graduated Fee Scheme)
- The new ‘sending’ fee
- The new fee for ‘consideration of unused material’
- The relevant Statutory Instruments involved
- The position regarding the fees for pre-charge engagement
- New fees for appeals against sentence - appeals against conviction and committals for sentence
- New fees for confiscation hearings
- Litigator fees for proceedings in the Court of Appeal
- Abolition of the fixed fee for guilty pleas in elected cases
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.