Work Accidents at Sea - An Introduction for Personal Injury Lawyers
This webinar will provide an introduction to anyone interested in taking on marine related work, which is a discipline steeped in history and involves quite different rules and time limits to other claims, which can catch litigators out if they are not aware of the relevant provisions.
This webinar focuses on work accidents at sea, which invites consideration of the merchant shipping equivalents of the UK Health & Safety statutes and regulations. It will ensure you have a good understanding of the uniqueness of this specialised area of law.
If you are considering taking instructions from clients who have been involved in a marine work accident, this webinar is for you.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Explanation of the Admiralty Court as a division of the QBD and history
- Meaning of ship and crew
- Limitation and time bar issues
- Limitation of liability (the LLMC Convention 1996)
- Arrest of vessels
- Collision actions and procedure for bringing claims
- Negligence in navigation
- UK Health & Safety statutes and regulations, including merchant shipping provisions
- The Athens Convention
- Merchant Shipping Act 1995
- Admiralty and Commercial Court Guide
- CPR Part 61
This webinar was recorded on 27th January 2022
at your organisation