Offshore Trusts: The All-Powerful Settlor - Potential Pitfalls & Solutions
The modern trend for trusts with greater settlor control meets a real demand from clients, particularly during a time of mass transfer of wealth.
The desire for settlor control is understandable but brings with it considerable risks.
This webinar will consider those risks and how they can be managed. It will also explore alternative structures, which continue to gain traction.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- The rationale for settlor reserved power trusts
- The types of reserved power structures available
- Tax considerations of reserved power trusts
- Potential risks and means of challenge in the commercial and matrimonial contexts (with reference to key case law)
- The offshore response - how effective are the solutions offered? To include conflict of law scenarios between 'offshore' and 'onshore' jurisdictions
- Structuring for the future, including drafting tips and novel clauses
- Alternatives to reserved powers trusts, including private trust companies and common law foundations. What are the pitfalls and advantages (both legal and practical) of these alternative solutions?
This webinar was recorded on 26th November 2020