Procurement Within Children’s Services - Live At Your Desk
Problems with cost and lack of capacity are being made worse for councils by the impact of COVID-19.
This highly topical live broadcast is given by an expert in commissioning and delivering social care procurements.
The live session will provide a technical analysis of how to procure quality services for children in care. The session will provide examples of effective approaches at which offer more affordable cost (e.g. 15% cost reductions) and encourage providers to increase market capacity.
This live session is designed for lawyers bidding for contracts for children’s services, as well as local authority solicitors and commissioners working within this area.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- The statutory background to service delivery for children in care
- Current approaches to procurement - large multi-authority frameworks and/or dynamic purchasing consortia and why so many purchases are off framework/dynamic purchasing system and are spots at negotiated fees
- Typical current contract conditions - why providers are put off by current procurement models and what will encourage them to bid and offer to increase capacity at an affordable cost
- Does the public procurement regime apply to the purchase of children’s services? The DfE’s position is that it does not apply to children with special educational needs (Operational Guide on High Needs Funding 2019/20)
- Purchasing flexibilities and the ‘light touch’ regime under sections 74-77 of the public procurement regime; the Crown Commercial Guidance on the ‘light touch’ regime and achieving sound procurement
- Use of urgency procedures because of COVID-19 - Public Contracts Regulations 2015 and procurement policy notes from the Crown Commercial Office
- The choices - spot purchases versus small flexible blocks and cost : volume models key procurement and other characteristics, risk and benefits?
- Encouraging market capacity and how the right model can deliver better quality at a reduced price
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.