Affordable Housing & Planning
The aim of this course is to take a comprehensive look at affordable housing from a number of different perspectives. It begins by asking what constitutes affordable housing and then works through the issues relating to the need to demonstrate evidence of demand, the importance of viability and various considerations concerning delivery and the impact of certain requirements of planning authorities as they apply to the different players who deliver affordable housing. Some practical questions concerning certain aspects of section 106 agreements as they relate to affordable housing are also dealt with.
At the conclusion of the course, those attending should have the knowledge to advise with confidence on what will remain an area of much discussion and debate long after the introduction of charging schedules under the Community Infrastructure Regulations.
The emphasis is on practical issues but due to time constraints it is not possible to cover very detailed drafting points. Nor is it the intention to provide suggested wording.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Types of affordable housing in terms of guidance in the NPPF and how each type affects value
- The new tenures and how they will affect deliverability
- Housing need and how what is being sought relates to the council's policy requirements and housing need survey
- Issues of viability and deliverability
- Dealing with viability post repeal of Section 106BA
- Cascade provisions in the event there is no demand for the council's requirements from Registered Providers
- The concept of minimum pricing so that in addition to free land the client does not further subsidise build costs
- Issues of public subsidy
- Ensuring the heads of terms are properly documented at committee stage
- Drafting the section 106 agreement to include common pitfalls and areas of danger
- Dealing with issues of title where more than one owner or Registered Provider as a party
- What implications will the recently published White Paper have for this important area of planning policy?
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme