The Smarter Way to Assess & Address Risk & Compliance in Your Law Firm - A Practical Guide
Compliance can be time consuming and expensive if not done correctly. New risks emerge, rules change on a frequent basis and ignorance is still no defence.
How to assess and address risk smartly is more important than ever if those who are tasked with looking after risk and compliance in law firms (whether that be those who do it full time or as well as wearing other hats such as earning fees) want their programme of compliance to be effective.
During this virtual classroom seminar Rebecca Atkinson, compliance expert and author of ‘Assessing and Addressing Risk and Compliance in Your Law Firm’, will provide practical advice on how to address all aspects of compliance related risks. Rebecca will also answer any specific questions you may have.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- What are the main areas of risk and compliance that law firms should consider?
- Complaints and claims handling
- Data protection
- Anti-money laundering
- Statutory compliance such as Modern Slavery Act 2015, Criminal Finances Act 2017, anti-bribery and corruption 2010 and whistleblowing
- Regulatory compliance such as SRA annual reauthorisation, compliance with the Code, handling of ethics queries, SRA accounts rules compliance, reporting obligations, gathering and publishing equality and diversity data, information on letterhead and emails
- Risk management such as what policies firms should have as a minimum, procurement processes, supplier contract and outside counsel terms reviews, file destruction, training, written guidance giving, engagement letters and terms of business and what each should have, email disclaimers
- A short summary of Environmental, Social and Governance and the cross over to risk and compliance
- How to conduct a gap analysis
- How to draw up a plan of action
- How to convince your firm to invest in risk and compliance
- How to see your plans through and how to reflect and learn
- Setting up a risk team and what it may look like
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.