The New Solicitors Accounts Rules
Implementation date for the SRA Accounts Rules 2019 for all firms was 25 November 2019. Are you confident you and your staff fully are up to date with the new rules and all the latest guidance from the SRA to ensure compliance? Do you know what changes can or must be made now that the SRA Accounts Rules 2019 are in force?
Don't be at risk of falling foul of the SRA or your PI Insurers due to problems with Accounts Rules compliance!
This intermediate level seminar will cover the changes to the rules and acts as a complete update for partners, fee earners and accounts staff.
What You Will Learn
The course, which uses case studies and quizzes to highlight key issues, will focus in particular on common problem areas and common breaches.
The new SRA accounts rules came into effect on 25 November 2019. While these rules are shorter and less prescriptive than previous versions, it is clear that the vast majority of firms will implement these rules against a backdrop of having systems and procedures to deal with the much more prescriptive SRA Accounts Rules 2011.
This session will look in detail at (and highlight and changes between the 2011 and 2019 rules):
- Main principles of the SRA Accounts Rules 2019:
- Definitions of client money and what it means in practice
- Removal of specified time frames and how that might be interpreted
- Client bank accounts
- The use of Third Party Managed Accounts
- What is required regarding receipts and payments from the client account
- Transferring money for the firm’s own costs
- Ensuring the firm doesn’t inadvertently provide banking facilities in breach of the rules
- Dealing with residual balances
- Interest on client account
- Operating a client’s own bank account
- Other ‘special situations’ where only a limited application of the rules apply
- Proper preparation and review of Client account reconciliation and common problems
- Reports to the SRA by your reporting accountants - how has this been changing?
The session will also look in detail at the relevant guidance that the SRA produced to assist firms with compliance.
Quick Quiz - Test Your Knowledge: Solicitors Accounts Rules
Troubled by residual client balances or require a SARs health check? Read how to ensure regulatory compliance with our new consultancy services
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme