The Law of Prescription in Scotland - What’s New?
Aimed at those involved in litigation and with some background knowledge of prescription and limitation of claims, this course offers a highly practical guide to the latest on the law governing prescription.
The course will look at the existing law and practice, before focussing on the reforms recommended by the Scottish Law Commission in their Prescription (Scotland) Bill, which has now been enacted as the Prescription (Scotland) Act 2018.
What You Will Learn
The course will cover the following:
- How do you identify the correct prescriptive period which applies to different types of claim?
- When does the prescriptive 'clock' start running?
- How can the prescriptive period be interrupted, and in particular:
- What is a relevant claim; and
- What is a relevant acknowledgement?
- What are the uncertainties in the law as currently drafted?
- What options did the Scottish Law Commission consider, and what was decided?
- What will the law look like under the Prescription (Scotland) Act 2018?
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme