The ABC of Payroll Processing
Payroll has become increasingly complex over recent years and whilst much processing is automated by software, it is incumbent on all those who process or oversee payroll to have sufficient up to date knowledge to check that the operation of software or any third party agent is compliant and explain the processing to colleagues and other employees. The salary bill is after all the biggest controllable cost in any business.
This introductory course provides an opportunity to revisit or to learn the essential building blocks of a compliant payroll service. Even if you have outsourced your payroll to a third party the obligation to operate with the law remains with the employer.
Since the introduction of Real Time Information (RTI) all businesses should invest in ensuring that their reputation is not damaged by non-compliant payroll processes and be aware of the transparency that RTI provides to HMRC. Of course payroll data is also increasingly used by the Department of Work and Pensions to calculate entitlement to Universal Credit, with employers receiving queries from DWP if their data is incorrect or incomplete.
If you are taking up a role processing or overseeing payroll or returning to the function and need a refresher to bring you up to speed on basic compliance issues, then this course is for you.
The course is fast-paced and includes practice calculations for both tax and national insurance so a calculator is essential, plus additional exercises to reinforce learning. All the answers will be provided and the tutor will provide support throughout the day.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- The background to income tax through Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and National insurance
- The annual payroll cycle and real-time information reporting including the use of the business tax account
- The build up to gross pay
- National insurance: table letters, classes of national insurance and handling errors
- Income Tax: how tax codes are created, the new starter process and the calculation of tax
- The apprenticeship levy: who it applies to and how it works
- Student Loans: understanding undergraduate and postgraduate loan deductions
- Statutory leave and payments: overview of sickness and maternity pay including tips traps for employers
- Court orders: the 17 different types and their interaction
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme