Tax Implications on Divorce - The Essentials
HMRC’s powers have grown exponentially in the last 5 years and they have access to huge amounts of data in the UK and overseas. With the amount of transactions taking place in divorce, from transferring properties to payments of settlements, it is key in this ever changing environment that you are able to spot and raise any potential tax issues.
This course will provide you with the tools you need to understand tax issues on divorce and to best advise your client on when they need to seek additional advice.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
Capital Gains Tax in Divorce
- Capital Gains Tax on the main home
- Principal Private Residence Relief, when it applies and how to secure it for your client
- Different tax treatment of Deferred Charge v Mesher Orders
- Changes in April 2019 and planned changes for April 2020
- Capital Gains Tax on investment properties
- Hold over relief
Income Tax & Other Taxes in Divorce
- Tax treatment of settlements, deferred settlements, maintenance
- Tax pitfalls of maintenance tied to dividends
- Stamp Duty implications of buying property during/post divorce
- Income support/universal credit
Appointing a Tax Expert - Best Practice
- When to appoint a single joint expert and why?
- What to expect from your single joint expert?
- Checklist of when an SJE may not be required
- Reading a SJE report
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme