Subject Access Requests - A Toolkit for HR & Employment Law Advisors
Responding to subject access requests, when an individual requests a copy of their personal data, can be complicated and time-consuming. This is especially true when the requestor is an employee or former employee.
This classroom seminar will explain how HR colleagues and managers can be prepared for SARs as well as how to respond to them. We will also explore how to take a risk-based approach to particularly complex and sensitive requests.
Using relatable examples and with reference to the latest ICO guidance, this is a highly interactive session during which data protection expert Clare Paterson will provide delegates with the opportunity to have their specific questions answered.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- What the data protection legislation says about subject access requests
- How to be prepared for, and potentially reduce, SARs
- Understanding the scope of a SAR
- How to carry out appropriate searches
- When and how to apply time extensions
- Exemptions most commonly used in employee SARs
- Strategies for handling SARs related to complaints, grievances, disciplinary procedures, tribunals and settlements
- When a SAR may be manifestly unfounded or excessive and how to respond
- How to respond to complaints from requestor or the ICO
9:30am - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme