Solicitor Act Assessments - An Introductory Guide for PI Lawyers & Costs Professionals
One unintended consequence of the Jackson reforms is the rise in Solicitor Act assessments, particularly in personal injury claims following deductions from compensation.
The more complex cousin of interpartes detailed assessments, such cases are riddled with traps for the uninitiated. Like having insurance, the value of knowing how to defend such cases is often not appreciated until it’s too late.
This course will show you how to protect yourselves from this new wave of costs litigation. A must for any PI solicitor or cost lawyer.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Getting the foundations right
- The retainer
- The estimate
- 100% success fees: Herbert v HH Law
- The crucial elements of issuing invoices compliant with s.69 Solicitors Act 1974
- How to respond to requests for delivery up of the solicitor’s file of papers
- The evidential burden and the basis of assessment
- Procedural requirements of assessments
- Drafting replies
- Lodging documents
- The costs of the assessment: the one fifth rule and how to combat it
- Special circumstances
- Successful offers
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme