Secrets & Lies - Pitfalls of Fundamental Dishonesty Uncovered
This live broadcast session is designed to take you through the principles of the law of fundamental dishonesty, how to identify potential pitfalls before they happen and how to handle a case where it has been alleged.
The live session is suitable for personal injury and clinical negligence practitioners.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Fundamental dishonesty and section 57 of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015
- Ivey v. Genting Casinos Limited and LOCOPG v. Sinfield and the definition of fundamental dishonesty
- Risk assessing cases for fundamental dishonesty
- How to avoid allegations of fundamental dishonesty
- Advising the client
- Pleading your case (Wright v. Satellite Information Services Limited)
- Preparing witness statements
- Instructing experts and reviewing their reports
- How to react when the Defendant alleges fundamental dishonesty
- Has the Defendant adequately set out their case?
- Are they actually alleging fundamental dishonesty, and adverse costs: Lamarieo Manna (A Child and Protected Party by his Father and Litigation Friend Samuel Manna) v Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- The timing of the application
- Surveillance evidence - has it been legitimately obtained, can it be excluded?
- Surveillance and the Claimant
- Discontinuing a claim in response to an allegation of fundamental dishonesty.
- What is substantial injustice and can the Claimant avoid their claim being dismissed in its entirety
- Recent case law: Haider v DSM Demolition Ltd
- Case studies on fundamental dishonesty
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.