Persons from Abroad - A Guide to the Local Authority Support Available
This live broadcast session will consider the statutory regime which applies to the provision of local authority support to persons from abroad.
It will review the key legislation including the Care Act, Children Act and Housing Act together with the relevant case law. There will also be a consideration of changes to the support provisions which are affected by the Immigration Act 2016.
This will be an informative and practical session with a focus on understanding the law and how it should be applied.
What You Will Learn
This interactive live session will cover the following:
- ‘No recourse to public funds’ - An overview of immigration status
- Status and its effect on eligibility for local authority support under the:
- Children Act 1989
- Care Act 2014
- Housing Act 1996
- Localism Act 2011
- When is an EEA right being exercised - Who is a ‘worker’ and when is a family member of an EEA national exercising EU residence rights?
- Human rights assessments - What these should contain
- Providing and ending the service
- The Immigration Act 2016
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.