Patent Protection Rules for AI Applications - A ‘How To’ Guide
Artificial Intelligence (‘AI’) is a branch of computer science which first emerged in the 1950s and has given rise to many different types of technology. Today, AI technology is in use all around us and is anticipated to influence our lives and behaviour and that of all future generations.
The rise of AI technologies is evidenced by a corresponding rise in patent applications for AI technologies. Nearly 340,000 patent applications have been filed for AI related inventions, with over half of these having been published since 2013, as found by a recent study by the World Intellectual Property Organization.
At present there is development in the way patent granting authorities examine patent applications relating to AI technology. The European Patent Office has recently introduced a dedicated section in its guidelines for examination specifically about patent applications for AI related inventions. Other patent offices around the world have also introduced new guidance.
A particular area of development concerns how to protect inventions created by AI machines. There have been some recent decisions by various patent offices and introduction of new guidance.
This webinar will explain how to navigate the patent protection rules for your client’s AI application.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- What is AI?
- Examples of AI technology used today
- Facts and figures about AI patent applications
- The importance of keeping the technology confidential before filing a patent application
- What information is needed for an AI patent application?
- The exclusions from patent protection
- Identifying a technical problem
- Identifying a technical implementation
- Identifying inventors
- Patentability of inventions created by AI machines
- Patent filing strategy for AI inventions
This webinar was recorded on 25th August 2020