Patent Due Diligence - The Fundamental Portfolio Checks Required
The value of many commercial products/assets is dependent on the underlying patents that protect them, and an appropriate IP due diligence assessment can support the product valuation. IP due diligence can also be an essential exercise when acquisition or in-licensing of a patented product is contemplated.
This webinar will look at the fundamental patent portfolio checks that should be carried out as part of a due diligence exercise. The processes involved in conducting an IP/patent due diligence will be explained and the key issues discussed, with reference to real examples in the pharmaceutical sector.
The webinar is aimed at professionals with an understanding of patents and the patent system but with little practical experience in patent and IP due diligence.
What You Will Learn
The webinar will cover the following:
- Checking the territorial cover and status of the patents in the portfolio
- Verifying that the patent claims adequately cover the product
- Checking the patentability of the granted or pending patent claims
- Determining the predicted loss of exclusivity period for the product
- Checking the inventorship and ownership position
- Checking the priority entitlement (if appropriate)
- Optionally, checking the freedom to operate position