Intellectual Property Litigation - Current Trends & Insights
Join James Whitaker from Mayer Brown International LLP as he presents this new virtual classroom seminar providing a summary of some of the recent and emerging trends, and key issues, in the context of intellectual property litigation, focusing on ‘soft IP’, including how IP rights can be protected and enforced, where some of the principal exposures arise in light of the emergence of non-fungible tokens and ‘deep fakes’, and how the regime, and exposures, in England and Wales may be impacted by the macro developments of recent months, including the Brexit and the COVID-19 pandemic.
The protection of intellectual property, and the enforcement of intellectual property rights, are increasingly important considerations to businesses and organisations in all sectors, and in all jurisdictions, particularly as technology develops rapidly and new challenges associated with distributing, and protecting, content, emerge.
The importance of protecting, and enforcing, IP rights in the post-Brexit, post-COVID-19, era will continue to increase, and understanding of recent legislative and judicial trends and developments will be essential to companies, both public and private, and those advising them.
The session is aimed at those practising or advising on English law.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Brexit and the effect of the Trade & Cooperation Agreement on IPR protections, including:
- Copyright protections (including database and satellite broadcasting ‘country of origin’ principle)
- Trade marks
- Domain names
- Design rights
- Breach of confidence
- The ‘exhaustion of IP rights’ principle
- Brexit and the effect on IP litigation, including on:
- Issuing new proceedings
- Ongoing proceedings
- Which courts have jurisdiction to hear which claims
- How the English courts will treat EU jurisprudence
- Customs enforcement in cases of infringement
- Enforcement of IPR and remedies - some recent judicial developments
- The impact of COVID-19 on IP-related litigation
- The rise of non-fungible tokens - protection and the scope for litigation
- The emergence of ‘deep fakes’ and the impact on IPR
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.