How to Draft & Negotiate Sports Sponsorship Agreements
As the popularity of sport has risen, so has the number of companies wanting to associate themselves through sponsorship with sporting entities, whether an event, league, national governing body, international federation, club, team, association or individual sportsman or sportswoman.
With this increase, sporting entities have become increasingly demanding of companies wishing to sponsor them. Equally, sponsors have become far more sophisticated when seeking the rights that they wish to exploit, the ways in which they will be able to exploit them and the protection they will require against their business competitors acquiring the same or similar rights.
This course will examine these and the other issues faced by lawyers when negotiating sports sponsorship arrangements and will then conclude with an interactive session showing how you may bring added value to your clients in the identification of relevant sponsorship rights.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Identifying at the outset exactly what your client wants from the sponsorship relationship
- Different types of sponsorship
- Defining the sponsorship rights that the sponsor will be entitled to use and for what purposes
- The various ways exclusivity may be defined including ‘product/service’ category v ‘competitor’ protection
- Granting and the exercise of all rights including the sponsorship rights in accordance with applicable laws including any sporting rules relating to the sporting entity
- Exercise and exploitation of the sponsorship rights including the sourcing and use of premiums, third party promotions, brand management and approval processes
- The sponsorship fee and the related financial provisions
- Related product/supply, affinity and merchandising rights and obligations/arrangements
- Where the relationship could go wrong and appropriate remedies for sporting entities and the sponsor
- Various forms of dispute resolution
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme