Highway Issues for Property Lawyers - The Essentials
What is a 'highway'? We travel along them every day, but do you know the difference between a highway and a private road?
What is the difference between a footpath and a footway?
Who is responsible for maintaining your local roads and can homeowners expect an unwelcome bill from the council for repairing potholes?
Gaining access to a highway is vital for all landowners, and particularly for new development sites, so how can you check the route and boundaries of a highway, and what process must a developer follow before linking a new development to the existing road?
This webinar will provide the answers to a number of key questions when considering Highway issues in property transactions.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- What is a highway?
- The different types of highway:
- Highways for all persons including wheeled traffic
- Highways for pedestrians
- Highways for pedestrians, horses, cattle and sheep
- Once a highway, always a highway?
- How do you create a highway?
- What is adoption?
- How wide is a highway?
- What is an Adoption Standard?
- Working on a highway
- Extinguishing a highway
- Developers checklist:
- The Highway Search
- Adopted highways to remain a private estate road?
- Design specification
- Section 38 Agreements
- Is there room for future Phase 2 developments?
This webinar was recorded on 23rd May 2018