Health & Safety - A Practical Guide to the Law & Tactics
The world of Health and Safety Law can be a daunting one. This seminar offers a practical guide on how to approach a prosecution brought under Health and Safety legislation from the instigation of proceedings through to trial and sentence. It is aimed at advocates who wish to expand their practice into this developing area as well as those who are responsible for Health and Safety Issues in business.
What You Will Learn
The training will focus on the practical issues raised by an investigation into an accident or death. The aim is to equip you with the tools to make informed tactical decisions at each stage of the process from the best way to deal with prohibition notices, how to advise a client in interview in a case where there is a reverse burden of proof, through to tactical issues at trial and sentence.
During the day of evidence, procedure and tactics the emphasis will be on acquiring practical knowledge using examples and exercises.
The areas covered will include:
- The enforcement framework and methods of enforcement
- Reporting, inspectors, investigation and interview
- How to approach an HSE enquiry into an accident or death
- How to deal with Improvement and Prohibition notices
- Advising clients including Interviews under caution, representation and privilege
- Criminal trial. Pre trial issues, Disclosure, venue and plea including indications as to sentence
- What tactics to employ and how to achieve the best result in a difficult evidential environment
- Abuse of Process and Judicial Review
- Trial issues. Expert evidence, hearsay, bad character
- Sentencing. Fines, imprisonment and ancillary orders
- Work related deaths. "The work related death Protocol", manslaughter, corporate manslaughter
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme