Ground Rent - The Ins & Outs in Residential Leases
This introductory webinar will cover the essential issues surrounding ground rent in the context of residential leases.
You will find out the 'ins and outs' of ground rent and in particular why ground rent is so important for the freeholder, what can be done to nullify ground rent liability under a lease and some useful tips and guidance.
The webinar is aimed at practitioners involved day to day with residential conveyancing or leasehold enfranchisement.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- What is 'ground rent?'
- What does the UK Finance Handbook require?
- How is ground rent demanded - Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act requirements
- How is ground rent calculated?
- Why is it so important from the freeholder/landlord's perspective - a look at Fairhold Freeholds No 2 Ltd v Moody 
- How can ground rent liability be nullified - a look at the Leasehold Reform, Housing & Urban Development Act with a brief overview of section 56 to extend the lease under the statutory regime and the ability to extend leases post collective enfranchisement under section 13
- Voluntary lease extensions and their impact on ground rent
- Observations of the market place
This webinar was recorded on 20th March 2017