Former Tenants & Guarantors - Understanding Enforceability of Lease Covenants
One of the most useful fall-back options available to a landlord is the ability to enforce payment of rent and other sums against former tenants and their guarantors in circumstances where the current tenant can't pay.
Documenting transactions in such a way as to safeguard the landlord's remedies requires a good knowledge of the subject; and for the former tenant or guarantor faced with a claim, there are potentially grounds to defend it, and tactical options, which can make all the difference.
The webinar is aimed at solicitors and surveyors engaged in commercial letting work and real estate litigation.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- Principles applying to pre-1996 leases
- The scheme of the 1995 Act
- Preserving parent company guarantees - hacking through the case law jungle
- S.17 notices - formalities and challenges
- Pros and cons of overriding leases
- Implied indemnities from assignees