Forfeiture of Commercial Leases
The law of forfeiture has many complexities, even absurdities, and can be unpredictable in its operation. But for those who know how and when to use it, it offers a quick, cheap and effective way of either recovering possession, or persuading a defaulting tenant to comply with its obligations.
This half-day course will focus on the use of forfeiture in the commercial context and will use discussion scenarios to understand and explore the advantages, the limitations and pitfalls.
It offers a thorough grounding for those unfamiliar with the subject and a refresher and update for others. It is suitable for management surveyors and for all lawyers involved in commercial landlord and tenant work.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- The pros and cons - what is the landlord trying to achieve?
- Acquiring and losing the right to forfeit - keeping all options open
- How forfeiture is done - is changing the locks 'a sure recipe for violence'?
- Relief from forfeiture - simplifying the complexities
- When a landlord settles a forfeiture dispute, what technical considerations have to be addressed?
- How soon after forfeiture can a landlord re-let the premises?
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme