Evaluating & Understanding Patent Risk - Mitigation Tactics & More
A common question from businesses is 'do I have freedom to operate without infringing anyone else's patents?'. Although this is a deceptively simple question, it is notoriously difficult to provide a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer.
This is in part because of the sheer number of patents that exist - more than a hundred thousand patents at any time in the UK, and more than 3 million in the USA. Practically speaking, it is not possible to analyse every one of these potential risks.
This new virtual classroom seminar focuses on how to begin to unpick this problem.
The ultimate goal is to develop a process for evaluating freedom to operate, or perhaps more accurately developing an understanding of patent risk.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Is 'freedom to operate' really the goal? why a business should focus more on trying to understand IP risk
- Evaluating patent risk by breaking the problem down into individual components: different product elements, and different geographies
- How to suit a patent searching strategy to business circumstances
- IP insurance and when this might be suitable
- The phenomenon of patent trolls, and how this risk can be mitigated
- Sector-specific considerations such as software
- Risk mitigation tactics including patent invalidity attacks and design-arounds
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.