Entrepreneurs' Relief - A Guide to Planning Opportunities & Avoiding Pitfalls
Entrepreneurs' relief can be worth up to £1 million and claims for entrepreneurs’ relief are coming under increasing scrutiny from HMRC. It is therefore essential that the complexities of this valuable relief are fully understood and the numerous pitfalls avoided. In this one-day seminar Philip Ridgway of Temple Tax Chambers will deal with all aspects of the relief examining possible planning opportunities and highlighting the traps to be wary of.
The course will cover disposals by sole traders, partners trustees and shareholders and the different conditions that need to be satisfied for each to qualify. It will also look at areas of uncertainty and steps that can be taken to reduce the risks.
The course has been fully updated to take account of the changes made to the legislation following the recent budget and Finance Act including the ability to ‘bank’ entrepreneurs’ relief when holdings are diluted and the new rules on personal companies.
What You Will Learn
This seminar will cover the following:
- Brief history: Putting the relief in context
- The Basics: How the relief works
- Disposals of businesses by sole traders and assets following cessation
- Disposals by partners of partnership assets and partnership businesses
- Disposals by trustees
- Disposals by shareholders including:
- ‘Banking’ ER on dilution below 5%;
- The new conditions for personal companies;
- Share for share exchanges; and
- Associated disposals by partners and shareholders
- Interaction with other reliefs
- EMI shares
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme