Enfranchisement & Lease Extension: A User’s Guide
Acting for flat owners ‘extending’ a flat lease or making a claim for collective enfranchisement, under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, can be fraught with complexity and potential pitfalls for the unwary. This course will guide you through the statutory requirements whilst avoiding the ‘bear traps’ that await the unwary landlord or tenant.
This session, aimed primarily at lawyers, is designed for those new or returning to the field of leasehold enfranchisement & extension.
What You Will Learn
- Can a claim be made? The tricky problems around qualifying buildings, qualifying tenants, and intermediate landlords;
- Do you know the statutory timetable? Why understanding it is crucial, where to find it and how to use it;
- The procedure: drafting and serving notices - avoiding the mistakes and what to do if it goes wrong;
- Can you change the lease terms? And if so, which?
- Acquiring the freehold - what does that cover?
- ‘Informal’ claims - should you be advising this?
Quick Quiz - Test Your Knowledge: Just click Leasehold Enfranchisement
9:30am - 12:45pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme