Employment Disciplinary Meetings & Procedures - Tips, Traps & Strategies for Businesses, Business Owners & Senior Managers
This new course aimed at businesses aims to explore each stage of an Employment Tribunal claim and will cover the effect and consequences of getting things wrong at the beginning of the process.
It will cover the investigation and disciplinary meeting procedure to help you get it right first time and show you how you can check your own contract and written procedures. It will also discuss and explain the critical difference between a procedural unfair dismissal and a substantive unfair dismissal. The purpose of this course is to provide practical tips and strategies for dealing with disciplinary and grievance situations.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Investigation and disciplinary meetings
- How to check your own contracts and written procedures
- How and why investigation must be fair and thorough
- Different approaches: conduct, performance or redundancy
- Gathering of evidence
- Type and nature of documentation
- Witness statements and problems e.g. GDPR and anonymous statements
- Suspension - be careful
- Throwing a ‘sickie’
- How to convene the meeting , venue, timings, documentation and the importance of wording
- Conduct, questions, new issues, adjournment and reaching a decision
- Options - what does your procedure say-warning or dismissal?
- Wording of the warning or dismissal letter
- If a warning is given, the need to address required improvement, time period and support to be given
- A procedural unfair dismissal and a substantive unfair dismissal and the case of Polkey
- Subject access requests
- Dealing with a failure to attend the meeting and appeals
- Complications caused by health issues covered by the Equality Act 2010
- Dealing with a grievance filed in conjunction with disciplinary proceedings
- Basic award and compensation, contributory fault, mitigation of loss and pension issues
- What to do on receipt of tribunal papers, timings, dates, witnesses
- Schedule of loss
- List of documents and discovery - beware email traffic, social media, GDPR
- Witness statements
- Negotiation and settlement agreements
- The hearing itself
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme