Domestic Violence & Concurrent Criminal Proceedings - A Guide for Family Lawyers
As family practitioners are aware, all too often family breakdown is characterised by violence which may in turn lead to separate criminal proceedings or the threat of such proceedings.
This webinar is a ‘head to head’ between experienced family and criminal practitioners to deal with the issues which family practitioners need to understand in order not to prejudice their client’s overall position, including in relation to criminal proceedings.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- The basics of the criminal justice system - types of offences, likely sentences, listing issues in the criminal courts
- Similarities and differences between a finding of fact hearing and a criminal hearing - privilege against self-incrimination, burden of proof and admissibility issues
- Documents generated in criminal proceedings - what might be useful for family lawyers?
- The rules on disclosure to and from the family courts into and out of the criminal courts
- Dealing with parties in custody - prison rules on correspondence and meetings
This webinar was recorded on 18th November 2019