Distributions & Dividends - Latest Trends
This virtual classroom session is aimed at corporate litigation lawyers, particularly those in the field of minority shareholder disputes, together with contentious insolvency practitioners.
With many individuals and companies under significant financial pressure due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is an increased need - or temptation - to transfer value from the business to the shareholders.
This is already giving rise to an increase in shareholder disputes and the lawfulness of paying dividends in these uncertain financial times - particular if the company has been unable to repay bounce-back loans (BBLs) or coronavirus business interruption loan scheme (CBILS) - and is likely to come under the microscope this year as insolvencies start to increase.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Types of distribution
- What ‘rights’ do shareholders have to a dividend
- The procedure for declaring dividends
- Determining whether a payment is a dividend or something else, e.g. salary, loan
- Determining whether a dividend was lawfully made
- Recovering unlawful dividends from shareholders - who can recover, what criteria must be met and what defences are available to shareholders?
- Liability of directors for unlawful dividends - who can recover, what criteria must be met and what defences are available to directors?
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.