Disability Discrimination - A Masterclass for Employment Lawyers & HR Practitioners
In light of the rapidly changing nature of the modern workplace, now, more than ever, the need for employers to provide appropriate and adequate support to employees with disabilities is crucial.
Disability discrimination is an ever evolving and complex area of employment law, fraught with challenges for employers and employees alike. A lack of understanding as to the rules around disability in the workplace can give rise to a number of issues at each stage of the employment relationship.
This in-depth seminar will provide delegates with a comprehensive understanding of the law relating to disability and will provide clear and practical guidance for developing fair recruitment practices, supporting your employees who may have disabilities, and dealing with disability discrimination claims.
This seminar will include detailed workshops and case studies on:
- The requirements and limits of reasonable adjustments
- The management of long-term and frequent sickness absence
- Performance related issues
- What is the definition of a ‘disability’ under the Equality Act 2010?
- Who is protected under disability discrimination legislation?
- Types of disability discrimination claims (direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, discrimination arising from a disability, failure to make reasonable adjustments, harassment and victimisation)
- How to assess whether an employee’s condition qualifies as a disability under the Equality Act 2010
- Your obligations as an employer to make reasonable adjustments
- How to deal with concurrent disability and performance issues
- The common pitfalls employers face in this area
- The key common law principles
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Practical advice to develop fair recruitment practices
- Practical advice in relation to reasonable adjustments that can be made for employees
- Tribunals’ approach to disability discrimination claims
- Common errors to avoid
- Recent developments in case law
- Consideration of the Business Disability Forum’s Disability Essentials range of resources, published in November 2021, offering guidance on employing disabled workers
9:30am - 4:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme