Dealing with Vulnerable Defendants & Witnesses - An Invaluable Guide
The government intends to require all advocates undertaking publicly funded work in crime to be vulnerable witness trained.
This course covers the law and procedural rules which you need to know if you deal with vulnerable witnesses or defendants in court. It is ideal preparation for those who want to become accredited in due course.
The course is aimed at advocates (whether you prosecute or defend) and also police station representatives dealing with vulnerable people.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Who is vulnerable
- How do you decide the issue
- Fitness to plead
- Too disadvantaged to be tried
- The Advocates' Gateway
- The Youth Justice Toolkits
- Relevant case law
- Limits on examining witnesses and terminating cross-examination
- Dissecting an ABE interview
- Ground rules hearings
- Preparing to examine or cross-examine someone vulnerable
- Practical exercises and scenarios
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme