Dealing with IP Rights - Avoiding the Key Pitfalls
IP rights have never been more important commercially. They frequently represent the majority of the value of a business which is being sold. This introductory course assumes little prior knowledge of IP and will explain what the key pitfalls are when transferring, mortgaging and licensing IP rights.
The course will also explore the impact of the soon to be implemented trade secrets directive (2016/943), the recently published draft EU withdrawal agreement and the future unitary patent.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Are IP rights property rights and if so what sort of property?
- What else should be transferred when transferring IP rights?
- What formalities have to be complied with when transferring IP rights?
- What happens if the formalities are not complied with?
- Why are certain common corporate domiciles a big problem when assigning IP rights?
- What are the covenants implied by the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1994 into IP assignments and should you accept them?
- Checking for third party rights: where to check and what to look for. Understanding the risks
- Corporate sale and purchase agreements - particular points to watch
- Registering IP assignments - why should the assignee bother to register the assignment
- Mortgaging and charging IP - how to properly protect the lender
- The new unitary patent - special points to look out for
- Dealing with EU trade marks and Community designs before and after the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020
- Licensing IP rights: the ten most common mistakes to avoid
2:00pm - 5:15pm
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme