Criminal Law 2020 Update with Colin Beaumont
2019 was another very interesting year for case-law from the Court of Appeal, High Court and Supreme Court. It was also another very busy year for the Sentencing Council with many important guidelines being published.
This course will take you through the current legislation, relevant statutory instruments, case-law and important guidelines published by the Sentencing Council.
This update course will include all the recent case-law dealing with issues that criminal practitioners are called upon to consider daily, and will include time limits in relation to the production of written charges and issuing of requisitions, serving charges by way of email upon the defendant’s solicitors, and how the court is to approach a sentencing exercise when dealing with assaults upon emergency workers.
This practical course will be of interest to anyone involved in the day-to-day practice of criminal law in England and Wales.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Assaults on Emergency Workers (Offences) Act 2018 - including the 2019 case-law
- Voyeurism (Offences) Act 2019 - including the notification requirements
- Stalking Protection Act 2019 and the Stalkers Register
- The General Guideline: Overarching Principles - with effect from 1st October 2019
- The Criminal Procedure Rules 2015 (as amended and updated in 2019)
- Written charges - Brown v DPP 
- Written charges - DPP v McFarlane 
- 100 things you really ought to know in 2020 - 100 questions with 100 written answers
- A Legal Quiz - 50 things with 3 multiple-choice answers
- Sentencing at the Crown Court - R v Brindle 
- The Victim Surcharge - all change June 2019
- Crown Court sentencing and the case of R v Walton 
- What’s new at the police station? - R v Green 
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme