Costs 2020 Virtual Conference
From the tactics and practice of how to avoid the biggest problems and pitfalls through to a detailed analysis of the latest case law on a wide range of topical costs issues this comprehensive online conference, with its panel of leading speakers, will appeal to all those who need to keep right up-to-date with all the difficult areas and hot topics in this fast moving and complex area of work.
This live online conference will cover the topics below:
9:30am - 10: 30am: Settlement of Claims - Recent Developments
Chair: Professor Dominic Regan
There is immense pressure upon parties to settle and so avoid hearings. This online session will review the following:
- Early neutral evaluation arrives with a vengeance
- Compulsory ADR?
- A few Part 36 decisions to note
- How defendants can secure serious costs
10.30am - 11.30am: Non-Party Costs Orders - Latest Update
Erica Bedford, Kings Chambers
This timely paper presented by expert costs counsel looks at the law, practicalities and procedure for making and defending applications for non-party costs orders against insurers, funders, solicitors, directors and others.
11.35am - 12.30pm: Costs & Funding - Latest on Pitfalls & Opportunities
Alexander Hutton QC, Hailsham Chambers
There are many more choices in terms of funding claims these days. But what are the opportunities and what are the pitfalls?
This session will explore the latest cases and developments, including:
- Conditional fee agreements and after the event insurance
- Damages based agreements - are they finally about to move into the mainstream with effective reform?
- Third-party funding - how is the market with the Arkin cap having been so weakened?
1.00pm - 2.00pm: The Latest on QOCS in PI
Roger Mallalieu QC, 4 New Square
This session will look at the latest developments and continuing uncertainties surrounding QOCS including:
- The issues of set off of costs against costs
- Mixed claims
- QOCS on discontinuance
- The remaining issues concerning QOCS and the LASPO transitional provisions
2.00pm - 3.00pm: Essential Cost Management - Latest News
Reuben Glynn, Partners in Costs Limited
The case law on cost management changes daily. This session will give you a summary of all the key cases during 2020. The key points from each case will be highlighted with an explanation of why they are important to you. The practical and tactical hints and tips that you need to be aware of in modern litigation will be provided.
This online session will cover:
- Changes to the CPR
- Changes to Practice Directions
- Key cases
- Practical & tactical hints & tips
3:15pm - 4.15pm: Reforms - What is Coming and When?
Professor Dominic Regan
Several changes have been heralded. Dominic will deliver an update on what proposals have been put forward. What are their prospects for implementation and when might they come into force?
- Fixed costs in an extended Fast Track for cases worth up to £100,000
- An overhaul of damages based agreements
- Clinical negligence cases
- The Injury small claims limit
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.