Consumer Law Update - All the Latest News
This virtual classroom seminar will discuss several topical issues in the field of consumer law.
It will summarise the key provisions of the recent UK consultation and also the EU New Deal for consumers.
It will also look at recent examples of enforcement action and rulings of both the High Court and the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
What You Will Learn
This live broadcast will cover the following:
- Incorporation of terms
- Issues relating to Covid 19
- Collective Proceedings
- UK Consultation - Reforming Competition and Consumer Policy
- Introduction of a fining power for the CMA up to 10% of global turnover
- Expansion of the list of banned practices under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 to include fake reviews
- Greater regulation of behavioural marketing techniques
- Enforcement and Modernisation Directive
- Part of the EU New Deal for Consumers, this directive will come into force in member states of the EU with effect from 28 May 2022. Any UK businesses dealing with consumers in EU members states will need to comply with these new requirements from that date
- Improved on-line rights for consumers
- Introduction of representative actions on behalf of consumers (no law firms allowed!)
- Harmonization of enforcement in respect of unfair commercial practices
- Fining powers of 4% of turnover as a minimum available to enforcement bodies
- Rules aimed at dealing with dual quality issues
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.