Construction Law - 2021 Virtual Conference
Chaired by Kim Franklin QC, this live online conference will examine a range of important and topical issues in construction law.
Each session will provide opportunity for questions and answers.
This live and interactive 5-hour conference will cover the following:
10.00am-11.00am: Current Trends in Adjudication
This session will review recent authorities on the enforcement of adjudicators' decisions including:
- The effect of the moratorium provisions of the Corporate Governance and Insolvency Act 2020 on adjudication
- EfW contracts and the exclusion in the Construction Act in respect of power generation activities
- Bresco, Meadowside and Astec on adjudication injunctions
11.00am-12.00pm: NEC & JCT - Hot Topics for Legal Risk Management and Commercial Negotiation
NEC and JCT are popular contracts in the construction and engineering sectors and front-end investment in contract strategy and procurement results in clarity and certainty as to budget and time.
This session will run through the key commercial topics of 2020 and how they are addressed in NEC and JCT contracts in order to manage risk.
It will also look at the role of collaborative negotiation and show how it can be a cost-effective and time-efficient project tool to settle on-the-job risk issues and facilitate steady progress of the project.
Break for lunch
1.00pm-2.00pm: Construction Disputes - Avoid, Manage, Resolve & Learn
Construction projects produce lots of disputes and the sums involved can be small and niggling to eye-watering and business-destroying.
This session will examine the latest case law and recent research on how to avoid, manage and resolve disputes in the construction and engineering sectors and overlay the commercial context in which projects are procured and delivered.
It will explore how to find contract management solutions to practical difficulties which commonly arise and explain how maturing organisations are starting to recognise how disputes can improve project understanding and business relations.
2.00pm-3.00pm: H&S and Fire Safety in Construction
This session will review the importance of health and safety and fire safety in the construction industry.
- Recent Changes in Health and Safety - Why proactivity is important in H&S management
- Occupational Health issues
- Post COVID-19 approach to construction work
- Corporate & Personal Liability - H&S and Fire Safety considerations
- Impact of the Building Safety and Fire Safety Bill 2020
- The 2016 Sentencing Guidelines - where are we 4 years on?
3.15pm-4.15pm: How to Get the Best From Your Adjudicator
Kim Franklin QC
This session will explore the practicalities of conducting a successful adjudication including:
- Choosing an adjudicator
- What to include in the referral?
- The role of evidence
- How to define the issues
- Why hold an adjudication meeting
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.