Company Secretarial 2020 Virtual Conference
This live broadcast conference chaired by Jackie Sheldon and a panel of experts, will explore a range of important and topical matters and offer practical guidance to keep you up to date with the latest reforms and issues in this area.
Commencing at 10am this live online conference will cover the following topics:
10.00am-11.00am: Stakeholder Reporting - Recent Trends
Tanya Gass, Solicitor
This session will consider recent trends in the reporting landscape, purportedly introduced to give stakeholders (such as employees, suppliers and consumers) more influence over big business.
Find out the what, when, who and how of each type of reporting requirement, also looking at the practical difficulties of compliance and horizon-scanning future developments.
11:10am - 12:10am: PSC Persons of Significant Control (PSC) Registers
Chair: Jackie Sheldon, Solicitor and Senior Lecturer
This session will provide a refresher of what companies and persons of significant control (PSCs) need to do to comply with the PSC Register legislation together with an update on recent and upcoming changes to the regime, including the November Law Society & CLLS Guidance and the 5th Money Laundering Directive. Practical tips based on the speaker’s experience and the latest guidance will be explored.
12:10 - 1:10pm: Stakeholder Engagement & the New Corporate Governance Code
Liz Miles, Deputy Company Secretary, Landsec
This session will explore stakeholder engagement given the new corporate governance code and obligation to now produce a section 172 statement in annual reports.
Break for lunch
2.00pm-3.00pm: Private Company Shares & Share Transactions - The Company Secretarial Perspective
David Impey, Solicitor
This session will explore dividends and share transaction developments from the company secretarial perspective as follows:
- Latest case law on dividend policies
- Interim dividend developments
- Dividends and interim accounts
- A heads up - dividends and the Brydon review
- Share transaction developments
- Private company share buy-backs
- Share capital reductions and solvency statements
- Redenominating shares
- The latest on share rights and Entrepreneurs’ relief
- ‘Ordinary share capital’ potholes
3.15pm-4.15pm: Issues for the Company Secretary when Insolvency Potentially Looms - Be Prepared
Stephen Allinson, Solicitor
This session will explore issues for the company secretary when insolvency potentially looms. Sadly, corporate failure has been far too prevalent in recent years. This session will identify key issues in this area from the point of view of the company secretary and what needs to be done to undertake their duties and responsibilities.
Areas to be covered will include:
- Warning signs of insolvency - what to look out for
- What does the Companies Act say about directors’ duties in this area?
- Tips and tactics to protect your company from becoming a creditor to an insolvent company
- Is it only directors who should be concerned? - Definitely not!
- Reform is on the horizon - be ready for it
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.