Commercial Property Management & Leases - An Introduction for Surveyors
Working with solicitors on the grant or dealings with a commercial lease requires an understanding on both sides of what the other professional has to do.
Solicitors are often working under extreme time and costs pressure and often do not have the time to explain anything to clients, let alone surveyors. Sadly, this often results in wasted time and effort on both sides.
This virtual classroom seminar will help commercial surveyors understand what the average commercial lease has to say about many common issues in property management and what the statutory restrictions on landlords are.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- The 'institutional commercial lease' & the new RICS Commercial Lease Code
- Heads of Terms - key points often overlooked
- Making it easier for your solicitor to draft the lease
- Elements of control - security of rental stream, user, alterations and rent review
- User - the statutory restrictions and new use classes - who wins?
- Alterations & Improvements - licences to alter
- Assignment and underletting - statutory controls and common lease provisions
- The rent review - What is a market rent? Experts and arbitrators
- Security of tenure - why it is important?
- The statutory renewal process - importance of forms and time-limits
- Repairing problems - rights of entry clauses and dilapidations claims
- Service charges and apportionment disputes
- Working & communicating effectively with solicitors
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.