Collective Enfranchisement & Lease Extension - A Masterclass with Sarah Thompson-Copsey
Acting for flat owners ‘extending’ a flat lease or making a claim for collective enfranchisement, under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, can be fraught with complexity and potential pitfalls for the unwary.
Whether you act for landlords or tenants, this 5-hour course guides you through the statutory requirements of the Act and around some of the many pitfalls and ‘bear traps’ that await the unwary advisor.
Through interactive case studies, it also provides an opportunity to some of the knottier problem areas, and gaps in the legislation, encountered in practice by landlords, tenants and their advisers.
This is course, aimed primarily at lawyers, is designed for those new or returning to the field of leasehold enfranchisement & extension as well as the more experienced practitioner who wants to take a more in-depth look at some of these potential 'bear-traps' and grey areas in light of recent cases - with a view to identifying practical ways to resolve them.
What You Will Learn
This course will cover the following:
- Can a claim be made? Qualifying buildings, qualifying tenants, missing and intermediate landlords: Palgrave v Consensus;
- Do you know the statutory timetable? Why understanding it is crucial, where to find it and how to use it
- The procedure: notices & counter-notices - effective drafting, where & how to serve: Alford House v Grosvenor; Villarosa v Ryan
- Notices: invalid, ineffective or just plain wrong - what's the difference & the impact on costs
- ‘Agreement of terms’ or agreement of lease form - is there a difference and how to handle it
- Terms of acquisition: intermediate leases and changing lease terms? LM Homes v Queen Court; Trinity Church v Trinity Strond
- Freehold or permanent rights?
- Two years ownership: joint tenants, PRs and other knotty problems Current thinking on 'commercial enfranchisement' and the 1967 Act
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme