Charities Act 2022 - New Statutory Powers to Use Charitable Assets
The Charities Bill received Royal Assent to become the Charities Act 2022. It is envisaged that the provisions in the Act will be brought into force in the next twelve to eighteen months.
This virtual classroom seminar looks at provisions in Part 1 of the Charities Act 2022 aimed at allowing charities to use their funds more flexibly and changes which will curtail or repeal existing powers.
This training is being delivered in advance of the provisions being brought into force, for those who want to be ahead of the curve in understanding the effect of clauses 6 to 16 of the Charities Act 2022.
What You Will Learn
This live broadcast will cover the following:
- The four circumstances in which a donation to a 'failed' fundraising appeal may be applied cy-près
- The new statutory power for charity trustees to apply proceeds from fundraising appeals cy-près without donor consent
- When Charity Commission involvement will still be required to apply the proceeds from an appeal cy-prés
- Clarification of the Court and Charity Commission's scheme-making powers in relation to corporate charities
- The new statutory definition of 'permanent endowment' and when it applies
- The differences between the current and new framework for spending and borrowing from permanent endowment
- Changes to the statutory power to spend investment permanent endowment
- The new statutory power to 'borrow' from permanent endowment without Charity Commission consent
- When Charity Commission involvement will still be required to spend or borrow from permanent endowment
- The new statutory power to use permanent endowment to make social investments
- The repeal of sections 288 - 292 of the Charities Act 2011 relating to special trusts
- The revised regime for making ex gratia payments
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.