Calculating SDLT Overlap Relief - Exploring the Complexities for Commercial Property Advisors
Overlap relief is a relief that may be applied in certain circumstances when calculating a tenant’s SDLT liability.
Unfortunately, it can get rather complex and it is not always clear what the rules are with a number of different interpretations as to eligibility and how the relief is to be applied.
Moreover, the calculation of SDLT (with the benefit of overlap relief) can be far from straightforward as the HMRC online calculator has not been designed to deal with such calculations.
Aimed at commercial property advisors, this virtual classroom seminar will consider the complexities when calculating this relief.
What You Will Learn
This live and interactive session will cover the following:
- Interaction with the exchange rules
- The conditions for claiming the relief
- Circumstances where the relief could be claimed
- How to identify the overlap period
- How to apply overlap relief when calculating SDLT
- How to approach fixed and variable rents
- How to deal with an overlap which covers part of a year
- The impact of rent reviews, rent-free periods and stepped rents
- How to account for the relief in your SDLT return
Recording of live sessions: Soon after the Learn Live session has taken place you will be able to go back and access the recording - should you wish to revisit the material discussed.