Beauty & Design in the Planning System
The Government’s Planning White Paper proposed reforms to the system to introduce locally created design guidance and codes which will accompany the National Design Guide, National Model Design Code and Manual for Streets when it comes to guiding decisions on the form of development.
Local design codes are now being piloted by 14 councils. The Government has also proposed to promote a ‘fast track for beauty’, following the recommendations of the Building Better, Building Beautiful Commission. The recent revisions to the National Planning Policy Framework enshrine the creation of ‘beautiful’ places as an overarching ambition of the planning system.
This webinar considers the progress made to date to embed good design and beauty into development and the challenges faced by those who are charged with making these policy aims a reality.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will cover the following:
- What is meant by good design and beautiful development?
- What has been done so far to promote good design and beauty
- What are the barriers in the system to achieving good design and beauty?
- Case studies and best practice examples
- Possible future developments
This webinar was recorded on 7th January 2022
at your organisation