Adoption & Special Guardianship Matters
Adoption cases are often far from run of the mill. In many cases they are the end game in proceedings whose earlier stages are in the very different and more mainstream disciplines of the care application, or, occasionally, the private Children Law application.
Special Guardianship cases sometimes involve the general family lawyer being parachuted into a care case, again often right at the end, and feeling that they are being bulldozed into a conclusion with insufficient time and information to properly look after the clients' interests.
What You Will Learn
This course is presented by a highly experienced solicitor who has worked in private practice, and for the past 15 years also represented numerous local authorities as well as acting for children, parents and adoption applicants, in cases involving adoption, special guardianship and the human rights issues surrounding these cases. This makes him ideally placed to offer insight and experience from all aspects of adoption and special guardianship matters.
This course will look in detail at the following:
- The Adoption and Children Act welfare checklist
- The basic nuts and bolts of adoption applications and the effect of adoption orders
- The role and processes of the local authority, in particular:
- The Adoption Panel, what it does and where the lawyer fits in
- Relinquishing children for adoption
- Placement order applications
- Applying to have children returned once placement orders have been made
- Contact issues during the placement order process and after adoption
- Adoption Support (financial and otherwise)
- Step-parent adoptions
- The contrasting merits of adoption, special guardianship and foster care
- Special Guardianship Support
- The changes to the whole care and adoption process following the Children & Families Act 2014
- The raft of case law, including Re B and Re BS
Quick Quiz - Test Your Knowledge: Just click Fostering for Child Care Lawyers
Please let us know if you wish to be notified.
Please let us know if you wish to be notified when new dates are added for this programme